Repair and deduct allows you to deduct money from the rent to pay for repairs. The steps include:
1. The defects must be serious and directly related to the tenant’s health and safety.
2. The repairs cannot cost more than one month’s rent.
3. You can only use this twice in any 12 month period.
4. The tenant or the tenant’s family must not have caused the defects being repaired.
5. The tenant must inform the landlord, either orally or in writing, of the repairs that are needed.
6. The tenant must give the landlord reasonable time to make the repairs.