Whether you have recently reached adulthood, are starting your family, reaching retirement, or approaching some other major milestone in life, there is a good chance that it is time to contact to your estate planning lawyer. Do not believe it? Check out these reasons:
- Estate planning knowledge is specialized. While you might have great insight into what estate planning is and how to do it, your estate planning lawyer has more. Utilize this knowledge to get the most out of your planning.
- Procrastination stinks!Sure, everyone knows they should probably have an estate plan, and they will get around to it…later. Of course, we also know that life has a way of throwing unexpected curve balls, and just because you have put off the planning does not mean that you will not end up wishing you had not.
- Seriously, you will save a lot of money in the long run. Yes, working with an estate planning lawyer is an expense, but it is an exceedingly small one compared to how much money they can help you save for retirement, on your taxes, and when you eventually leave your assets behind.
- There are different needs for each part of your life. Younger folks often do not realize the importance of powers of attorney. Parents might have no idea that they should name a guardian for their children. And older people sometimes do not have a clue what they need to do to qualify for long-term care benefits. These are all things that an estate planning lawyer can explain and help you set up.
- It protects a lot of people. Whether you are talking about having a say in your own medical care (protecting yourself), helping reduce grief and drama after your death (protecting your loved ones), or finding ways to save for the future (protecting your wealth), estate planning is the means to those ends.
- It says a lot about you. By creating an estate plan, you are demonstrating where your priorities lie. This means something to those you leave behind. In fact, you and your estate planning lawyer can even develop a strategy for leaving a legacy behind.
These are just a few of the reasons that pretty much every adult in California should be talking to their estate planning lawyers. There are certainly plenty more! The fact of the matter is that each phase of life brings with it different concerns. The great news is that calling our estate planning lawyers now will get the ball rolling so that as you move through the different phases of modern life, you will be prepared each step of the way. If you would like to schedule an appointment, contact me at 916.247.6868.