By popular demand, I am presenting you with a sample demand letter for those of you who want to try to settle your case without an attorney. A few caveats:
- This is not the letter I use, but it is a letter similar to one an attorney would write.
- This is not legal advice. Whether this is appropriate for you to use or not, I do not know since I do not know the facts of your case. Consult with an attorney.
- By looking at this or using this, I am not your attorney. I am only your attorney if we have a signed fee agreement. Otherwise, I am still not your attorney.
- This letter may not be appropriate in all situations. It is presented as a a sample only.
Now, here is the letter:
Dear Mr. XXX:
This is an offer to settle my claim with your insured, YYYY, for injuries I sustained on ZZZZ.
In this case, the AAAA Police Deptartment investigated this case. The report, attached to this demand, shows that the police found your insured at fault because …………
In this case, your insured is at fault because……………
As a result of your insured’s actions, I sustained the following injuries:
1. List injuries
My medical bills, attached hereto, total: $BBBBB These bills were incurred as follows:
1. Doctor Smith, $1,500 for (describe treatment)
2. Doctor Jones, $600 for (describe treatment)
As a result of this accident, I was not able to do the following:
1. List activities you could not do after the accident
Therefore, I am willing to resolve my case for my medical bills of $BBBB plus $CCCC for pain and suffering. Please respond to this demand within 15 days of this letter.
If you use this, and it is succesful, please let me know.