The general rule is that your insurance company will provide you coverage when you rent a car on your vacation. However, its a general rule, and does not apply to every policy. But, if your policy covers you, you will save a lot of money.
Courtesy of United Policyholders, here is a list of questions to ask your insurance agent before you rent a car:
- Does your policy have comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Does your policy cover rental cars?
- Are there any restrictions on your policy?
- Will your policy cover the full value of the rental car?
- Are all of the drivers of the rental car covered under your policy?
- How much is your deductible?
After you ask those questions, remember that your credit card may provide you insurance, sometimes on a limited basis, for a rental car.
Renting a car on vacation can be a lot of fun (especially when you rent that convertible!). However, make sure you are properly insured before you waive the insurance.