What do you do if you get in an accident? Most states require you to exchange information with the other party. Simple enough? Maybe not.
Here is the process I suggest when I give talks on insurance accidents:
- Pull off to a safe location
- Write down your own information for the other party
- Ask the other party to write down their information
- Write down the license plate of the other vehicle
- Using your disposable camera (which you should keep in your glove box and change every six months), take a picture of the license plate of the other vehicle.
- Write down the make and model of the other vehicle.
The information that you need to get is the driver’s name, address and phone number. You also want this information for the vehicle owner. Then, ask for the insurance company’s name and the policy number.
Obviously, if the police come, you do not need to worry as much. However, it never hurts to take pictures of the other vehicle.