I wish I could claim credit for the creative title, but I am borrowing it from the Dallas Morning News and Pamela Yip. Ms. Yip has a great column on making sure you don’t let debt collectors bite, even though they are getting more aggressive.
Her tips include:
1. Don’t ignore calls or letters;
2. Make the debt collector prove the debt;
3. If the collector calls on a bill you have already paid, show proof that you paid it;
4. Don’t tolerate abuse from debt collectors;
5. Take action if the debt collector breaks the law.
Regular readers of my blog know that I have been advocating this for years. It is nice to see the media get involved. Remember, I offer you a free debt validation letter at this website. Use it, especially if you receive a call from Brachfeld and Associates. Most debt collectors will go away once you follow step 2 of Ms. Yip’s advice.